-
May 24th, 2003, 10:03 PM
#31
Inactive Member
The sad thing is that if they don't get back together, the USA will not see another album. Sony already said as much in there last big announcement. And I definetly wouldn't pay the money for an import if it was like that last album.
-
May 25th, 2003, 01:10 AM
#32
Inactive Member
Check out the Sony Board (or f/c board, if you frequent that board [img]wink.gif[/img] ) for an updated article on the SG reuniting rumours [img]smile.gif[/img] (posted by Pnut on Sony & Laurie on the f/c)
*edit* or you can just check it out here [img]redface.gif[/img] I didnt see Laurie had already posted it here lol Thanks Laurie [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
<font color="#9966FF" size="1">[ May 24, 2003 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Jen ]</font>
-
May 25th, 2003, 03:03 AM
#33
Inactive Member
LOL Terry if that happened I would even have to whip out a suitable SG sig [img]eek.gif[/img] Darren would be in it, though it would have to be spider hair Darren [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
Kat
-
May 25th, 2003, 09:53 AM
#34
Twizzle
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#000000"><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Devon Saxon:
The sad thing is that if they don't get back together, the USA will not see another album. Sony already said as much in there last big announcement. And I definetly wouldn't pay the money for an import if it was like that last album.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really?!!! [img]eek.gif[/img]
I wasn't aware of that! If he flops again in the US, won't that pretty much be a death-knell to his solo career? I know that he is (or was) hugely popluar in the UK but we in the UK are notoriously fickle and as he's done squat this year, he's now all but forgotten by the majority of the record buying public.
Let's hope then, if only for his US career, that his next album is a completely different concept than 'Spin' was.
-
May 25th, 2003, 11:32 AM
#35
Inactive Member
No, Sony USA "dropped him" as an important act last year. It was confirmed by Sony Australia. There won't be a new release in the USA unless he sells millions of copies overseas first. He didn't even sell a total of 50,000 cds in the USA for Spin. Sony USA considers that nothing and won't take up the cost to produce an album to be released here.
-
May 25th, 2003, 12:19 PM
#36
Twizzle
Guest
Ooh err! I didn't know that!
Thanks for the info Devon.
Was this posted anywhere else btw? I ask b/c of the amount of US fans on the *shudder* f/c board. I wonder how they took (or how they'll take) the news that there won't be a US release of his next album. [img]confused.gif[/img]
-
May 25th, 2003, 04:50 PM
#37
Inactive Member
Hey if Robbie Williams can be so successful without breaking the states, there's hope for Darren! LOL Many bands do extremely well everywhere except the US and it's the US' loss [img]wink.gif[/img] Heh heh
-
May 26th, 2003, 12:19 AM
#38
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#000000"><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Twizzle:
Ooh err! I didn't know that!
Thanks for the info Devon.
Was this posted anywhere else btw? I ask b/c of the amount of US fans on the *shudder* f/c board. I wonder how they took (or how they'll take) the news that there won't be a US release of his next album. [img]confused.gif[/img] </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wasn't aware that there was a large group of Americans on the FC board. Last I heard there was less than 40. And no it wouldn't be posted at the FC site cause they'd lose those fans. The news came for everyone to see last year when the papers posted about sony removing Darren from their important artist list. I confirmed this with Roadshow/Columbia AUS.
<font color="#9966FF" size="1">[ May 25, 2003 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Devon Saxon ]</font>
-
May 26th, 2003, 12:20 AM
#39
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#000000"><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sunhawk:
Hey if Robbie Williams can be so successful without breaking the states, there's hope for Darren! LOL Many bands do extremely well everywhere except the US and it's the US' loss [img]wink.gif[/img] Heh heh</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
It depends on what you think of as success. Darren has said time and time again that he wants success in the USA. He still lives in the USA. He bought a dog here, and since he can't take that animal with him, he'll be staying in the USA. So for an artist who's career is only popular in the UK, he obviously has no plans to move to the UK, so which market do you think he really wants?
-
May 26th, 2003, 12:25 AM
#40
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#000000"><font size=2 face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Devon Saxon:
No, Sony USA "dropped him" as an important act last year. It was confirmed by Sony Australia. There won't be a new release in the USA unless he sells millions of copies overseas first. He didn't even sell a total of 50,000 cds in the USA for Spin. Sony USA considers that nothing and won't take up the cost to produce an album to be released here.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't believe it was Sony Australia that said that. It was printed in an article from an Australian newspaper that said that Sony stated that. I don't really call that factual. I deem that more "looking to sell papers" . But for the record, many artists are dropped as high priority and that has little or no effect on their albums being released domestically in places such as the US or my home of Canada. Melanie C was dropped as high priority... she has the number one domestic album in Canada right now.
<font color="#9966FF" size="1">[ May 25, 2003 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Laurina ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks